CTP reforms: claiming your green slip refund

CTP reforms: claiming your green slip refund

Did you know that some New South Wales drivers are eligible for a CTP green slip refund? Thanks to NSW government reform of compulsory third-party insurance last year, most NSW motorists are eligible for a partial refund. The reforms come from improvements to the insurance scheme to decrease the costs of CTP green slips for car owners and to ensure better care for the public when incidents arise on our roads.

Am I eligible for a refund?

If you were the registered owner of a private vehicle as at midnight 30 November 2017, you may be able to claim a CTP Green Slip refund for insurance policies bought or renewed before 1 December 2017. You are likely to be eligible if your vehicle was registered in Sydney metro, Outer metro, Newcastle or Wollongong regions and the insurance premium was paid from May 2017 onwards. For country regions, insurance premiums must have been paid from May 2017 onwards.

Motorcycle owners are not entitled to a refund as their CTP costs remain the same. However, under the new scheme, injured motorcycle riders will receive more benefits.

Businesses should have already received their refunds in January and February.

How much will I get back?

There is a minimum refund amount of $10. If the refund amount is less than $10 before or after the applied administration fee, the vehicle will not be eligible for a refund. The maximum amount that a private motorist can receive is $125, however, the amount you receive will vary depending on when you renewed your green slip. As the CTP scheme began on 1 December 2017, those who paid premiums closer to that date will receive a greater refund.

For an estimation on the refund you may be eligible to receive, check out this table provided by the NSW Government.

Any refunds that have not been claimed by 1 September will go towards administering the new motor accidents scheme which provides benefits for people injured in car accidents in NSW.

How do I get my refund?

Vehicle owners can make a claim thought MyServiceNSW between 7pm and 7am from Monday to Saturday, and all-day Sunday. This is because of the high demand for refunds and subsequent technical difficulties.

You will need a MyServiceNSW account to apply for the refund. If you don’t have one, you can create an account here. Once your account is set up, the refund process takes mere minutes.

2018-05-23T13:47:51+00:00 March 23rd, 2018|